Friday, October 24, 2008

edmodo

I saw this new microblogging platform for education called edmodo. It's like Twitter for education. Interesting!

3 comments:

sschwister said...

Thanks for sharing this, Heather. Hadn't run across it before.

Many educators are experimenting with using Twitter and other microblogging apps for teaching and learning, but no critical mass or consensus about its efficacy has emerged yet as far as I've seen. Have you seen any significant trends either way? Lots of ideas for using it in communicative/connective ways to help students build networks. But, as with many Web 2.0 applications, its possibilities are balanced by the need (desire?) to create a more controlled, less Wild West setting, and so education-specific versions are starting to sprout.

Have you seen Youth Twitter? It was a project by Paul Allison and colleagues to create version of Twitter geared for students. Not necessarily for academic purposes, but as a forum tuned to youth voices. That project has since sunsetted and been merged with some related work into something called Youth Voices. Find it at http://youthvoices.net/. I haven't talked to Paul to find out the backstory on the project merger but would love to know more.

Youth Voices still tweets at http://twitter.com/youthvoices

gordon donnelly said...

Heather,
Lesson plans & collaboration! Very impressive.
Did Scott's suggestions help?
Good to see the time he is putting in to review people's sites.
All the best,
Gordon

Heather said...

I just saw something about edmodo in my feeds, but I have not had a chance to explore the use of microblogging apps for teaching and learning. I will have to check out Youth Twitter.